Thursday 29 November 2012

How to stop the Forticlient Scheduler

Last Friday I installed Forticlient SSL VPN in order to connect to one of my client's pc remotely. I immediately noticed that Forticlient VPN disconnected automatically all of my other active VPNs, but at the time thought nothing of it.
Today I wanted to connect with my OpenVPN account, but could not do it because the Forticlient VPN and Forticlient Scheduler services were configured to start at Windows boot: I opened the Windows Services utility and tried to set the startup type of both processes to "Manual", but the FortiClient Scheduler kept giving me the error: Parameter is incorrect
After much searching on internet for solutions, I found out that FortiClient Scheduler is used by an active service called FortiShield, and that's why I could neither stop nor disable the process even with administrator rights; so I opened a window console and typed this:


After this I could stop the FortiClient Scheduler and set its startup type to "Manual". I hope this post will help others with the same problem!

15 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot =)
    It was quite annoying to always shut down Fortiguard by hand at boottime...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worked beautifully! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You this was very helpful (Y)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much. It works so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have found another solution. Start session with an administrative account, right click at the forticlient icon, "shutdown".

    And then... go and change the configuration of the "forti..." service to manual.

    Now, when you start the foticlient application, after using it. You most restart pc for reestablish connections to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, the command prompt did the trick ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank for your help.
    It work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been two years since this blog post and FortiClient still behaves this way. I hate it when companies pull this bullshit off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It doesn't stop for me. It says:
    The FortiShield service is stopping............
    The FortiShield service could not be stopped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, BUT after doing this, the service was stopped.
      I tried the same command again and get a message saying the service is not running

      Delete
  10. Command prompt needs to be run as admin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks a lot! Saved me hours of troubleshooting!

    ReplyDelete